Skip to main content

The Song of the Sugar Cube and The Cup of Tea




Once upon a time, there was a sugar cube. One day it caught a glimpse of itself in a silver teaspoon. After seeing it's reflection, it became very curious about itself and began to wonder about existence and it's purpose in life. The little piece of sugar thought for a long time about how to find the answer. It looked to the bowl that had held it and kept it safe all it's life. Who better to pose this question to? So it called out to the sugar bowl. “Sugar bowl, what am I?” The sugar bowl replied “You are a square piece of sweetener. You have a limited time until you become stale and crumble into dust. Learn how to sweeten, that is your only purpose in this life.” So the sugar cube practiced being sweet and became so sparkly with sweetness you could almost see a light glowing inside the cube. Becoming sparkly was helping the other cubes that shared the sugar bowl. The sparkly cube always had positive words for the other cubes and encouraged them to become as sweet as they could. The cube knew it was a duty to serve the bowl of cubes and was humble in doing so. It was careful about not doing harm even when some of them blamed the sparkly cube. Even when it knew about this negative talk, the cube saw everything in itself and itself in everything so wanted for each cube what it wanted for itself. The sparkly cube was the same inwardly as it was outwardly. Once you knew the sparkly cube, you knew it was for real. You could trust it because its words always reflected its actions. News spread throughout the kitchen about the nobleness of the sparkly cube until it reached the attention of the cup of tea. The cup of tea found the sugar cube reading while sitting beside the silver spoon. The cup asked what the sugar cube was doing. The sugar cube said “something you can't understand”. So the cup picked up the spoon and dunked and stirred it inside itself. The sugar cube thinking the spoon had come near destruction hurriedly pulled the spoon out of the cup of tea. To its surprise, the spoon was clean and dry. The sparkly cube proclaimed “What is this?” The cup of tea said “Mawlana this is what you cannot understand”. So the sugar cube and the cup of tea spent two years in each others company. During this time they were inseparable. The bowl and other lumps of sugar became jealous of their relationship and rumors abounded. The community missed the sparkly cube and began to dislike and mistrust the cup, not being able to bear any of it patiently. The cube and the cup mostly ignored the kitchen as they were transported into a region of pure conversation. They started out as friends, I for myself and you for yourself, liking each other but having no expectations. As the year passed, their friendship grew into familial love. I for you, you for me; we love each other, having mutual expectations of each other. The teacher kept on teaching and the student kept on learning until the sugar cube lost all anxious feelings about existence and no longer had any fear of dying. Until the light inside the sugar cube became a reflecting mirror. In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no one sees you. But sometimes I do. And that sight becomes this art.  I am for you, you are for whoever you choose; I accept whatever you want without any expectations whatsoever. The sugar cube found the self at rest.

Dissolver of sugar, dissolve me,
if this be the time.
Do it gently with a touch of a hand, or a look.
Every morning I wait at dawn. That's when
it has happened before. Or do it suddenly
like an execution. How else
can I get ready for death?

You breathe without a body, like a spark.
You grieve, and I begin to feel lighter.
You keep me away with your arm,
but the keeping away is pulling me in.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw

Dignity and Social Reform: An Islamic Perspective

dig·ni·ty ˈdiɡnədē/ noun noun: dignity the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect. Islah or Al-Islah (ألإصلاح ,إصلاح, al-ʾIṣlāḥ ) is an Arabic word usually translated as "reform", in the sense of "to improve, to better, or to put something into a better position." Humans are imbued with an inherent dignity. We have the responsibility to nurture the sense of self-respect inherited since the first man and woman walked the earth. The United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that recognition of the inherent dignity and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation for freedom, justice and peace in the world. For centuries moral and ethical codes were rooted in the fiber of civilization. Rules and standards of conduct like Chivalry, Victorian etiquette and 1950s post war manners give examples of codified moral conduct