Skip to main content

Phonosemantics in Sura Al-Saffat





While looking for the next sura to read, I came across one that drew me because of it's title “Ranged in Rows”. The title struck me for 2 reasons. I liked the alliteration in the title, it rolled off the tongue. I also was curious as to what exactly was (a)ranged in rows.
So, why “ranged” and not “arranged”? My first thought was that of course the angels are always arranged by Allah. They have no will of their own. Then I thought, ranged reminds me of an artillery range which again is fitting with the first image of a stellar battleground. As soon as I typed “ranged” into google the first 3 things that pop up are ranged training, ranged weapons, ranged armour all have to do with runescape. The rows bit is I think  referring to the hierarchy of angels. The first being on the “front lines” to protect any eavesdropping on the “higher assembly”.
I then turned my attention to the psychological effect of sound symbolism in the first 10 lines. Alliteration helps to create the cadence of the Qur'an which is most beautiful sounding and cannot be duplicated. The first alliteration is the repetition of the letter /r/. We often make the sound /r/ when we are angry (ie: grrr). The opening lines describe the angels anger at being called daughters of God. “By those angels, ranged in rows who rebuke reproachfully and recite God's word” The sound of /r/ also indicates urgency and speed. (think of a car revving rrrr rrrr rrrr). I picture stars in the angels' hands spinning and whirring getting ready with accelerating speed to be thrown at shaytan's minions.
As the battle begins we find repetition of the sound /p/ and /s/. The description is of the actions of battle: “pelted from every side, driven away they will have perpetual torment. If any of them stealthily snatches away a fragment, he will be pursued by a piercing flame.” The repetitive sound of /p/ is like the action of spitting (pft pft pft). The angels “spitting stars” at the demons. It also mimics the sound of arrows being shot through the air. The /s/ sound mimics the sound of a snake – a classic symbol of evil. A hissing sound used to describe shaytan's minions trying to steal pieces of heaven in order to uncover the speech of the “higher assembly”. It's interesting how /p/ and /s/ alliteration is alternated so as to give an effect of back and forth battle.
After all this, I thought but I'm analyzing a translated version. Is there alliteration in the Arabic text and if so, what are the psychological effects? It turns out yes there is alliteration of the same lines in Arabic although the letters alliterated are different. Take a listen to this recitation of those lines in Arabic:

I heard the repetition of the sound /s/ and /f/ followed by several /a/ sounds and finally the letter Kof. Since I'm a pure beginner when it comes to the Arabic alphabet, I had to research Kof. I asked a native Arabic speaker about this letter. He said – it is classified phonetically as a glottal stop. A kind of choking sound made at the back of the throat. When he hears this sound, it makes him “think and stop”. Kof is alliterated in line 10.


**archived from March 2016 sorry if this is a repeat :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw

Dignity and Social Reform: An Islamic Perspective

dig·ni·ty ˈdiɡnədē/ noun noun: dignity the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect. Islah or Al-Islah (ألإصلاح ,إصلاح, al-ʾIṣlāḥ ) is an Arabic word usually translated as "reform", in the sense of "to improve, to better, or to put something into a better position." Humans are imbued with an inherent dignity. We have the responsibility to nurture the sense of self-respect inherited since the first man and woman walked the earth. The United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that recognition of the inherent dignity and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation for freedom, justice and peace in the world. For centuries moral and ethical codes were rooted in the fiber of civilization. Rules and standards of conduct like Chivalry, Victorian etiquette and 1950s post war manners give examples of codified moral conduct