Skip to main content

Abd



Today I want to share something that is in my heart. What I have to say is nothing new, but I'll try my best to give my rendering. I remember reading social philosophers like Decarte and Fromme and novelists like Dostoyevsky. The question I wanted answered had to do with personal freedom and destiny. I was suffering from a bad case of secular humanism. Ironically, I wanted to need, even though it propelled me further into worry and fear. The needing closed my eyes and my heart. I've set aside these arguments for something better, something beautiful.

I was writing and erasing, writing and erasing trying to separate two ideas when a thought came to me - true freedom can only be found in submission. There is a beautiful peacefulness in freely chosen obedience to people, ideas and commitments greater than oneself. In submission you can find your purpose in life freeing yourself from the root of all angst. Submission washes away pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed and sloth and replaces it with faith, hope, charity, fortitude, justice, temperance and prudence. In submission you can experience truth and love and peaceful happiness. Having said this, submission requires a change in inner perception. It's absolutely possible to change your “self-think”. Here is how I got my mind around it.

How many times have you wondered how something happened? Maybe it was the story about the soul survivor of a shipwreck, or the video of a man who missed being hit by 4 cars in a row as he ran through a busy intersection. Or even the 1000 ways to die. Things that we just cannot explain through logic are presented to us every day if we care to take notice.

When the Angel Jibril first meets our Prophet he commands him saying “Iqra!”. Prophet Mohammed responds by saying he doesn't know how to read. Again the angel squeezes him and says “Iqra!”. Perhaps what the angel was asking was for Prophet Mohammed to submit his logical mind. 
 
A key to willing submission is to realize that our intellect is deficient. Our logic puts limits on our understanding. Do what you don't know how to do. You don't even know you know what you know. Your life has already been lived. In fact, the future has already happened. Everything has been written in The Preserved Tablet.
 
Nothing occurs, either in the Earth or in yourselves, without its being in a Book before We make it happen. That is something easy for Allah. That is so that you will not be grieved about the things that pass you by or exult about the things that come to you. Allah does not love any vain or boastful man. (Surat al-Hadid: 22-23)
 
And here is the beautiful realization that sets you free - someone who believes in destiny never grieves over what befalls him or falls prey to despair. On the contrary, he is always resigned, submitted and at peace. Submission means there is utmost trust. 
 
"And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah. And Allah is full of kindness to (His) devotees. O ye who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed enemy." (Al Baqarah 207 - 208)

Sumission and realizing destiny does not mean that we should stop doing things. Allah gives people the impression that they have an opportunity of altering events and of acting in the light of their own decisions and preferences. The person who has bowed his head knows, despite the feeling he is acting of his own free will, that he actually does all these things through Allah's will.

Blessed is He in whose hand is dominion, and He is over all things competent - [He] who created death and life to test you [as to] which of you is best in deed - and He is the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving. (Qur'an 67:1-2)

There is a conception that submission inevitably fosters fear. That is absolutely true. It does foster a fear but not the ugly “fear” secular humanists think of. The fear in submission is beautiful because it is contained in the meaning of awe. Think about the bravery instilled in the slave that has given over his will. He is not afraid to learn a new skill, start a new business, travel to give humanitarian aide, change his society and the people around him by speaking justice because he stands in awe of his Creator, and because he knows his book has already been written. If he is doing these things its because he is meant to do them – where is the “fear” in that?
These ideas are submitted to you in His submission.

99 names - Al-Mu'min



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw

Dignity and Social Reform: An Islamic Perspective

dig·ni·ty ˈdiɡnədē/ noun noun: dignity the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect. Islah or Al-Islah (ألإصلاح ,إصلاح, al-ʾIṣlāḥ ) is an Arabic word usually translated as "reform", in the sense of "to improve, to better, or to put something into a better position." Humans are imbued with an inherent dignity. We have the responsibility to nurture the sense of self-respect inherited since the first man and woman walked the earth. The United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that recognition of the inherent dignity and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation for freedom, justice and peace in the world. For centuries moral and ethical codes were rooted in the fiber of civilization. Rules and standards of conduct like Chivalry, Victorian etiquette and 1950s post war manners give examples of codified moral conduct