Skip to main content

Why Marry?



I've been trying to create characters for a piece I'm working on and like any writer, I've been digging deep into some personal questions. One of the questions my main character asks is “Why can't I find a good woman to marry me?” This is a tough one. I've been soaking in the tub of hopes and fears, lathered with a scrubby sponge of psychology and finally rinsed off with religion to answer this. The response came to me in the form of another question: “Would you marry you?” Without becoming egotistical or slipping on the wet floor of self-loathing, what would his answer be? Probably a mixed bag of yes and no. And it's true we have our faults. Looking for that “perfect” person will probably mean he will never get married because there is no perfect person out there. My main character is clearly not willing to settle for just anyone, and so he shouldn't. Neither should the women that he encounters. Standards should play a part in this very important choice he wants to make. His initial trouble is that he has set no standards for himself.  



Another question came to mind. Why do people get married? An easy common answer is for love of course. But what does that mean really? How do people define “love” and do we even know anymore what real love is? People say love and they mean money, prestige or pedigree, beauty and attraction. You might just find that “perfect” person who seems to have all this. Here is where the imperfection comes into play. They may have money and then loose their job or have prestige and pedigree but become disowned or snobbish and remind you of their “status”, they may be beautiful while they are young, but we all age and our looks and bodies change. Looking to all this and calling it “love” is clearly a mistake. It's based in things that are shallow and mutable. The best chance of a happy life and building real, lasting love is in a person's character. Hence my character's stipulation of a good woman and conversely the encountered woman's stipulation of a good man.



Good women are for good men” - Surah An-Nuur verse 26



The law of attraction stipulates that like attracts like. So if you are good, you will attract good. If you are not well...you get what you intend. So how to get to good? Reach beyond this world into the next. Good words and good actions go hand in hand. If a person is mindful of their words and actions, they will be good inside and outwardly. Also, it's very important to keep good company. Friends influence the way you act and think. Places also have great influence. Frequenting good places is very important.



And after all this, what is the purpose of marriage? To keep each other company, to procreate, to afford a place to live and provide education clothing, food and shelter to the kids, climb the corporate ladder, grow old together and walk off into the sunset. Until death do us part. What if there were no parting? The amazing idea of working together to keep each other good, and increase each others' goodness to gain a better reward – an eternal one. When I first realized that idea, it blew my mind. How amazing to think that the person you married, the one you cherish, adore, work every day with body mind and soul to see a smile on their face is doing the same for you, and to know that both of you know it is to make Allah happy in his sight. All the while greening your garden with your kind words, deeds and steps toward paradise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw

Dignity and Social Reform: An Islamic Perspective

dig·ni·ty ˈdiɡnədē/ noun noun: dignity the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect. Islah or Al-Islah (ألإصلاح ,إصلاح, al-ʾIṣlāḥ ) is an Arabic word usually translated as "reform", in the sense of "to improve, to better, or to put something into a better position." Humans are imbued with an inherent dignity. We have the responsibility to nurture the sense of self-respect inherited since the first man and woman walked the earth. The United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that recognition of the inherent dignity and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation for freedom, justice and peace in the world. For centuries moral and ethical codes were rooted in the fiber of civilization. Rules and standards of conduct like Chivalry, Victorian etiquette and 1950s post war manners give examples of codified moral conduct