Skip to main content

Cause and Effect - The Tempered Sword



We are all a bunch of complainers aren't we? We complain at work, we complain at home, we even complain when there isn't anything interesting to watch on tv. Twitter groups have created entire social movements based on complaining. As my teenage son likes to say “the struggle is real”. Sometimes our lives really do take a turn. A mother dies during childbirth leaving the father alone with a newborn. A bright young man who turned his life around dies in a car crash going home from his new job. Although it might be a little politically incorrect to say, I would recommend you give in. Yes. I said that. Let me explain.
There is an amazing pearl of wisdom in Surah Maryam. Maryam was known in her community and came from a pious family, dedicated to Allah (swt) before she was born and had knowledge of the essence of du'a as a young girl. We know the story of Maryam and the immaculate conception and how rumours flew about her chastity and who the father possibly was. Can you imagine having to bear the knowledge alone? What isolation she must have felt. Can you imagine having to come to terms with angel Gabriel explaining that you were now pregnant and still a virgin? No. We can only begin to imagine it.
And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten." (Qur'an 19:23)
Finally when she is about to give birth to Isa, she utters the words “I wish I had died”. This demonstrates the heat of her test. When she returns home she knows she will face embarrassing and shameful questions about the child and his father and possibly be stoned along with the child. It seems as though the trial will not come to an end. She is given advice from Jibreel:
But he called her from below her, "Do not grieve; your Lord has provided beneath you a stream. And shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates. So eat and drink and be contented. And if you see from among humanity anyone, say, 'Indeed, I have vowed to the Most Merciful abstention, so I will not speak today to [any] man.' " (Qur'an 19:24-26)
Maryam is provided with water and dates which reminds us of the sunnah of breaking fast. She is then requested to cool and temper with a fast of the tongue. Once she arrives home, she has to bear accusations about her unprecedented behaviour and how it is a shame on her pious parents. She holds her tongue and has complete trust. Still under the oath of silence, she points to baby Isa who says:
[Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah. He has given me the Scripture and made me a prop
het. And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive. And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.
This miracle of an infant son defending his mother polishing the sword so it glitters in the sunlight. She held her trust and was defended by Allah (swt). Maryam comes out from her trial beautifully forged and ready to be the mother to a prophet. She perfected her tawaqul and is granted a most beautiful mercy. In fact the Qur'an calls Maryam the best of women:
Oh Maryam, Allah has chosen you, Allah has purified you and Allah has chosen you over all the women of the world” (Qur'an 3:42)
Maryam stands on her own. She is legend. The perfectly tempered sword. The Prophet said: “Your actions alone will not save any of you. They asked, Messenger of Allah, not even you? He replied, not even me, unless Allah were to envelop me in his mercy.”
To understand the mercy of Allah (swt) is to understand destiny. I humbly give in. 99 names Al-Qayyum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay Woke

Abu Darda' then said, "l heard the Messenger of Allah say: 'Whoever travels a path seeking sacred knowledge, Allah will place him on a path leading to Paradise. The angels lower their wings for the student of sacred knowledge, pleased with what he is doing.” Now that the blessed month of Ramadan is over, it's time to think about the year ahead. Our iman is high and we want to keep that peaceful happy feeling. Have you ever wondered why we are so happy in Ramadan? It's because we do what we were created to do. While we went without food, we were nourishing our soul. What will keep your spirituality alive in the months to come? There are two ways to judge if something is alive. One is through the existence of emotions and the other is physical response. If you have ever had the pleasure of watching a young child explore nature, then maybe you have observed them determine whether a creature is alive or dead. What do they instinctively do? They watc

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw