Skip to main content

Kindness and Protection

A wonderful promise was made to me one day. My back was in spasm and he offered to come over and give me some Advil although it would be out of his way to do so. The sentiment struck me as profound. He told me he hates to know that I am in pain. Needless to say he has a piece of my heart.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and it brought me to the topic of kindness and protection. As I sat with my tea looking at my poster of Hieronymus Bosch's garden of earthly delights, I thought about the medieval code of chivalry and courtly love. The closest cousin to this, humanitarianism is defined as: “that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.”

Modernity has dangled at right angles from approaching anything akin to this concept. The current trend is aloof sarcasm. Displaying kindness has become a sign of weakness. I remembered reading the stoics and searched again for the quote - “People need other people not just for companionship or support in hard times but to fulfill their humanity.” While skimming I found an essay concerning kindness by Maria Rankin-Brown reviewing On Kindness by Philips and Taylor:
The authors write that: “real kindness is an exchange with essentially unpredictable consequences. It is a risk precisely because it mingles our needs and desires with the needs and desires of others, in a way that so-called self-interest never can. . . . By involving us with strangers . . . as well as with intimates, it is potentially far more promiscuous than sexuality.” Many of us go out of our way to avoid being obligated to another. The trust that one must hold for another whenever kindness is enacted complicates our relationship with ourselves and with others.

When I meet a soul who is cheerful and accepting or romantically protective and deeply intelligent, it is like a spotlight has been turned on the dark stage I often stare at from my mezzanine seat. Where is the modern mechanism that will turn on so many spotlights that our current stage will glow?

Here is a short list from the code of chivalry taken from the Rifts: England Supplement

  • Live one's life so that it is worthy of respect and honour.
  • Live for freedom, justice and all that is good.
  • Never attack an unarmed foe.
  • Never use a weapon on an opponent not equal to the attack.
  • Never attack from behind.
  • Avoid lying to your fellow man.
  • Avoid cheating.
  • Avoid torture.
  • Administer justice.
  • Protect the innocent.
  • Exhibit self control.
  • Respect women.
  • Exhibit Courage in word and deed.
  • Defend the weak and innocent.
  • Destroy evil in all of its monstrous forms.
  • Fight with honour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voyage into Islam

October 1 2016 will mark 9 months since I took my shahada. The time it takes to give birth. So I thought it might be appropriate to write about my gestational period so to speak. The early days were full of excitement, wonder and innocently questioning my sense of qibla direction. Getting the basics down like how to perform wudu, the reason behind wudu and what exactly counted as 1 rakat were a joyful learning curve. Baby steps...baby steps. During those first young months, I struggled for a reference point. My means of understanding Islam were rooted in Catholicism. I compared and contrasted ideas and methods in the two religions, trying to reach conclusions. My interior dialogue had 2 mother tongues and I felt that I was straddling two worlds. I still am very much straddling those two worlds and I'm guessing this would be much more difficult for a new Muslim who wasn't a born Canadian. That blurry sense of identity is bred in my bones and so it's a place I can dw

Dignity and Social Reform: An Islamic Perspective

dig·ni·ty ˈdiɡnədē/ noun noun: dignity the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect. Islah or Al-Islah (ألإصلاح ,إصلاح, al-ʾIṣlāḥ ) is an Arabic word usually translated as "reform", in the sense of "to improve, to better, or to put something into a better position." Humans are imbued with an inherent dignity. We have the responsibility to nurture the sense of self-respect inherited since the first man and woman walked the earth. The United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that recognition of the inherent dignity and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation for freedom, justice and peace in the world. For centuries moral and ethical codes were rooted in the fiber of civilization. Rules and standards of conduct like Chivalry, Victorian etiquette and 1950s post war manners give examples of codified moral conduct